We made it possible for any interested technician to use the CAPFITOGEN tools (completely in english), whose latest version can be downloaded from Google Drive service. We intend to make it accessible via FTP clients in the very near future.
The available version has the following improvements in addition to features included in version 1.0 (released in March 2013):
Please keep in mind that CAPFITOGEN tools work on Windows (Microsoft) operating system, as this is the most common operative system among technicians in Latin America.
Taking into account that these are large files to be downloaded, it is important to have access to broadband internet or at least a connection time long enough to complete the download. We expect from this download procedure to help speed up the distribution process and reach countries, programs, centers and/or universities much faster than via USB memory distributed by regular mail. This distribution procedure will be exclusively used to give support to users with no network access.
The instructions for the correct download and implementation of the tools’ installer are as follows:
1. Make sure you have ALZip file compression software, or similar software that can unzip files with .alz extension. Installer for ALZip software can be downloaded from the following address:
(after the installation of ALZip, use the “trial version” option to have free access)
2. Go to the following website to download the main package of the tools’ installer (no need to start session in Google to proceed with the download):
This file is about 2.6 Gb, then download it may takes long times depending on the internet connection. There is available a lighter version which does not includes GEOQUAL tool and is only about 731 Mb. This version can be downloaded from this link:
3. Download the main package of the tools’ installer called CAPFITOGEN.alz (complete toolkit version) or CAPFITOGEN.zip (light version without GEOQUAL tool), on your hard or flash drive with enough free space. Please consider that CAPFITOGEN.alz or CAPFITOGEN.zip files are 5.5 or 0.9 Gb decompressed respectively. To complete the downloading process, click on the “File” menu, then click “Download”. Sometimes a download interface might appear, in this case click on “Download anyway”.
4. Go to the following website to select and download the .alz file for the country or region you wish to be analyzed.
Find the country or area you want to work from the available options. Once you find and select it, download the corresponding .alz file. If you click on the folder with the name of the country or region, a black layer will be displayed with the following message “Sorry, no preview is available”, click then on the blue “Download” button.
You can download as many files (countries/regions) as your drive allows. However, keep in mind that these files will eventually have to be decompressed, consequently, for large countries, you might require space enough to accommodate up to 10 Gb of uncompressed content.
5. Unzip the file (downloaded in step 3) CAPFITOGEN.alz in the root of the hard or USB drive (eg C:\). The drive must have more than 6Gb of free space available.
Note: you might need even more space, depending on the country or area you want to work with.
If you selected the root of the C drive to locate the decompressed files, a new folder named “CAPFITOGEN” should be created (if not, please create it manually). Thus the path always should look like:
If you go into the decompressed folder (called “CAPFITOGEN”), you should find several folders and files that form the main package of the installer.
6. Unzip the contents of the compressed files for the selected country or region (step 4) in the “rdatamaps” folder located inside the “CAPFITOGEN” folder that was created when you unzip ”CAPFITOGEN.alz” file (step 5).
7. Make sure that the content of the compressed files for the selected countries/regions has been properly placed. If, for example, the main package of the tools’ installer (“CAPFITOGEN.alz” file) has been decompressed in C: \ and the selected country/region was Argentina, the resulting route in step 6 should be:
If you click on the “Argentina” folder, you should find two folders (“1×1″ and “5×5″), whose location routes would look as follows:
8. You can now proceed with the installation of the tools by clicking on CAPFITOGEN.exe file located into the CAPFITOGEN folder. Follow the installation instructions in the available user’s manual (CAPFITOGENtools.pdf) located within the set of files and folders that you can download directly from:
Cover of the new user’s manual of the CAPFITOGEN tools version 1.2
9. If you have already downloaded and installed the tools previously (since August 2014) and just wish to upgrade the software, it is not necessary to download the complete tool package, just download the “x86.zip” file from the following link:
Once downloaded, the file should be unzipped in a temporary folder. A folder called “x86″ will then be created, replacing the existing folder in the same location, within the “CAPFITOGEN” tools folder. Once the substitution is completed, the user can access the new tools. For any replacement it is recommended to first remove the x86 folder (from CAPFITOGEN\x86) and then paste the “x86″ folder (from the zip file).
The download of the x86 zip file is much faster than that of the tools main package, since “x86.zip” is only about 7% of the size of “CAPFITOGEN.alz” (175 Mb).
CAPFITOGEN tools – version 1.2
Mauricio Parra Quijano, PhD
Tools’ author and Programme Coordinator
Programme to Strengthen National Plant Genetic Resource Capacities in Latin America
International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture/ FAO
Funding: Govern of Spain
Any questions, comments, or assistance request, please refer to the following emails: